National Physical Fitness And Sports Month
May National Physical Fitness and Sports Month
Shiepis Clinic is supporting the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition in honor of National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. During the month of May, we challenge all adults to get 30 minutes of physical activity every day.
Did you know that regular physical activity increases your chances of living a longer, healthier life? It also reduces your risk for high blood pressure, heart disease, and some types of cancer.
Regular physical activity is good for everyone’s health and people of all ages and body types can be physically active.
Here are just a few benefits of physical activity:
• Children and adolescents – Physical activity can improve muscular fitness and bone and heart health.
• Adults – Physical activity can lower risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some types of cancer.
• Older adults – Physical activity can lower the risk of falls and improve cognitive functioning (like learning and judgment skills).
The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommend that adults:
• Aim for 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate aerobic activity each week. Moderate activity includes things like walking fast, dancing, swimming, and raking leaves.
• Do muscle-strengthening activities – like lifting weights or using exercise bands – at least 2 days a week.
Physical activity is for everyone. No matter what shape you are in, you can find activities that work for you. Together, we can rise to the challenge and get more active during the month of May!
Make a difference: Spread the word about fun ways to get moving!